The Fira de Barcelona is committed to zero kilometer renewable energies

0

Barcelona Fair says it will consume zero-kilometer green energy over the next few years, which will be supplied by Endesa to the three sites of Montjuïc, Gran Via and CCIB.

The awarded public tender provides that all electricity consumed by the show will continue to come from renewable sources and that 40% of it will come directly from nearby generating plants in order to reduce distribution losses.

The agreement includes the supply of 33 GWh/year to cover the sites’ electricity needs. This includes the consumption of exhibitor stands, meeting rooms, as well as the lighting of the facilities and the consumption of the equipment and systems of the facilities.

Of the total energy supplied, 40% will come directly from the Les Forques and Montargull wind farms (in the counties of La Conca de Barberà and La Segarra), owned by Enel Green Power España, the renewable energy subsidiary of Endesa. The remaining 60% of the electricity consumed by Fira will come from other green energy production centers.

The commitment to renewable energy will avoid the emission of 8,547 tonnes of CO2 each year, equivalent to the absorption capacity of 14,412 trees for 40 years, according to Endesa data.

Since 2020, 100% of the energy consumed by Fira de Barcelona comes from renewable sources. Other initiatives include, two years ago, the installation of 18 public charging points for vehicles at the Montjuïc and Gran Via sites.

The Fira has also obtained ISO 14001 certification, a recognized international certification in the field of environmental management, and also has the distinction “Commitment to Sustainable Tourism Destination Barcelona Biosphere” and has joined the Net Zero Carbon Events initiative of the Events Industry Council.

The Gran Via site also has one of the largest rooftop photovoltaic parks in the world, with 25,947 panels on 135,000 m² that generate 5.86 GWh of electricity per year, avoiding the emission of more than 2 200 tons of CO2.

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.