Transfer Talk – Newcastle push Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen
The summer transfer window was unlike any other; check out all the major offers and find out how we ranked the biggest signings. And just because the window is closed until January doesn’t mean the rumors won’t continue. Here are the latest gossip and speculation.
TOP STORY: Newcastle aim for Barca ter Stegen
Newcastle United have named Barcelona goalkeeper Marc-André ter Stegen a transfer priority, reports El Nacional.
While president Joan Laporta sees the Germany international as a key figure, the report claims it does not rule out a possible departure from the club.
A valuation of 55 million euros is proposed by the Magpies, which would be difficult to refuse for La Liga given their financial difficulties. They are also reportedly in the process of looking for potential successors for ter Stegen as he hasn’t been at his best in recent years.
However, the stumbling block for Newcastle’s new owners may lie less in Barcelona accepting a proposal and more in the goalkeeper himself. The 29-year-old would be happy in Catalonia, he would only be ready to leave if that meant he had to return to his native Germany. That won’t stop the Magpies hierarchy from trying to tempt him to make the change, however.
The Barcelona No.1 was a key part of his side’s 1-0 victory on Tuesday over Dynamo Kiev in the Champions League, in which they secured back-to-back wins against the Ukrainian side.
Ter Stegen made important saves, but report claims Barca don’t think he’s the same player since he injured his knee and had surgery earlier this year, and a potential change could be on the horizon.
– ESPN + Guide: LaLiga, Bundesliga, MLS, FA Cup, more (US)
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN + (US only)
– You don’t have ESPN? Access immediately
– FC Salzburg striker’s agent Karim adeyemi met representatives of Atletico Madrid, according to Sport1 reporter Florian Plettenberg. The 19-year-old has impressed the Austrian club, scoring 14 goals and two assists in 21 appearances in all competitions so far. His performances in the Champions League have also drawn attention, with other clubs weighing in on a potential move as well.
– Paris Saint-Germain and Bayern Munich consider free transfer of Internazionale midfielder Marcelo Brozovic in summer, reports Calciomercato. The 28-year-old could leave the Milan club at the end of the season, with the postponement of a new deal alerting many teams to a possible transfer next year. While PSG and Bayern Munich would have the greatest interest, other European clubs are said to be monitoring the situation.
– Manchester United and Barcelona keep watch on Manchester City youngster James mcatee, specifies the Daily Mail. The 19-year-old has just 18 months left on his current contract at the Etihad, with clubs ready to move if he doesn’t sign a new deal. However, Pep Guardiola is said to love the playmaker and is ready to reward him with more playing time in the future.
– Wolves have started negotiations with RB Leipzig on the permanent signing of Hwang Hee Chan, according to Calciomercato. The 25-year-old has joined the Premier League side on loan for the season and has impressed so far this season, so much so that the club are keen on signing up for the long haul.
– Southampton keep tabs on FC Salzburg striker Chukwubuike Adamu, with a host of other clubs also considering a potential move. The Daily Mail says the Saints love the 20-year-old, whose potential contract is said to be valued at £ 15million. Ligue 1’s AS Monaco, as well as a number of Bundesliga teams, are also reportedly considering a possible move in the future.